An inevitable delicacy at Diwali time, Kaju barfi is one of the most sought after 'mithais'. However this year, we've put our own healthy yet equally delicious spin on it. Introducing you to our version of Matcha Kaju barfi that's vegan-friendly, using our lusciously creamy pre-soaked, organic cashews from Goa that are stone ground with our authentic Japanese matcha to create a glidingly smooth superfood nut butter.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup raw cashews finely powdered
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp Matcha cashew butter
- 1/2 tsp Matcha powder (optional)
- Place water and sugar in a non stick pan, add cardamom and let it come to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low and add the cashew flour and almond flour and mix. Continue stirring at very frequent intervals, making sure the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom.
- As the mixture begins to pull away from the sides of the pan, continue stirring. Turn up your heat a little, and soon the mixture should turn opaque and dry (not sticky or translucent anymore). If you make a ball, it should hold together. Turn off the heat at this point and transfer mixture into a bowl.
- As soon as you can handle the dough, knead it into a smooth ball. and add in the matcha cashew cream and if adding matcha additionally, add at this point dissolved in very little water.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on a flat baking pan. Pat out the barfi mixture on it in an even layer, press the sides to make them as even as possible.
- Press some nuts for garnish on the top or add edible silver foil and let the barfi cool completely. When cool, cut the barfi into pieces. The barfi will store in the refrigerator for at least a week.