If you need to solve a puzzle, apply your brains.
If you need to run a mile, prepare your body to run.
But how would you prepare to start identifying the exact notes while you're tea tasting!
From my own learnings as a Tea Sommelier:
- Your tongue has it's own memory. Even if you don't remember, it's still engrained in you. Thankfully, that was my first lesson from Kumekawa-sensei, (my Tea Master.)
- Tea Bag is not Tea. There are different grades of Tea and only the lower (rather lowest) grades are blended for making Tea Bags. Hence, for Tea Tasting, only loose leaf tea will do.
- It's a myth that high-grown tea implies higher quality of tea and low-grown is lower quality. Each tea has it's own character. Never a judge a tea purely on it region.
- Every Tea Estate have their own quality season, i.e. the best season for their tea. Be sure to sample quality season tea to know the variations.
- Good people make good tea. Tea Estate Managers taste over 300 cups of tea a day. If you can trust the Tea Manager, you can expect to taste good tea.