Earl Grey Mini Cupcakes
Earl Grey is one of the most recognized teas in the world. A black tea blend, this classic British Tea is flavoured with the addition of oil of bergamot - a variety of orange grown in Italy and France. The rind's fragrant oil gives Earl Grey its signature pungent punch.
Earl Grey lends itself beautifully to citrus flavors and the gently mellow taste is an excellent canvas for honey buttercream as demonstrated by this recipe from the Goodie Godmother. An elegant cupcake suitable for a baby shower or an afternoon tea with the girls, we say! Read more for the recipe:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 c neutral-flavored oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 bags Earl Grey tea about 4 tsp loose tea
- 2 cups whole milk
Honey Lemon Frosting
- 1 lb butter softened
- 5-6 cups confectioners’ sugar (or Maple Syrup)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- Warm the milk to just under a simmer in a small saucepan or in the microwave and steep 2 Earl Grey tea bags for 5 minutes before removing. Set the milk aside (or in the refrigerator) to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F, line 5 mini cupcake wells with paper liners
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients in a smaller mixing bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Use a small cookie scoop or 2 tablespoons measuring spoon to portion the batter into the prepared cupcake pans. Bake for 14 minutes until the cupcake centers just spring back when lightly touched. If you are baking full-sized cupcakes, bake for 20-22 minutes.
- Move the cupcakes to a wire cooling rack to cool.
- Make the frosting by beating the softened butter and lemon zest on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add 5 cups of the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Stir in the honey and lemon juice, then add the additional cup of sugar, 2 tbsp at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and enjoy!
Pro tip: Use a star tip nozzle to pipe stylish rosettes. Just pipe the center, then move the tip in a counter-clockwise spiral around the center and lift away.
Try this recipe with our new delicious Chocolate Earl Grey Tea.
Picture & Recipe Courtesy: Mary, Goodie Godmother